US military bans Huawei, ZTE phones
Posted on
DefenceTalkPersonnel on US military bases can no longer buy phones and other gear manufactured by Chinese firms Huawei and ZTE, after the Pentagon said the devices pose an “unacceptable” security risk. Concerns have heightened at the Pentagon about consumer electronics being used to snoop on or track service members. “Huawei and ZTE devices may pose […]https://www.defencetalk.com/us-military-bans-huawei-zte-phones-71651/
As US military air crash toll rises, lawmaker calls for probe
Posted on
DefenceTalkA senior US lawmaker introduced legislation on Monday (May 7) to create a panel looking into military aviation mishaps, following a string of deadly incidents including one last week that killed nine airmen. The US military has been beset by a series of air accidents and crashes in recent years, and the rise has been […]https://www.defencetalk.com/as-us-military-air-crash-toll-rises-lawmaker-calls-for-probe-71647/
Congress sends $700 bn defense bill for Trump’s signature
Posted on
DefenceTalkThe US Congress on Thursday overwhelmingly authorized $700 billion in national defense spending for next year, a substantial increase over Donald Trump’s request, and sent the measure to the president for his signature. The National Defense Authorization Act of 2018 is a negotiated compromise between the two chambers of Congress. The Senate passed it Thursday […]https://www.defencetalk.com/congress-sends-700-bn-defense-bill-for-trumps-signature-70827/
US Senate passes $700 bn defense spending bill
Posted on
DefenceTalkThe US Senate overwhelmingly authorized $700 billion in defense spending Monday, a substantial increase over 2017 funding and nearly five percent more than President Donald Trump had requested. The National Defense Authorization Act of 2018 allows for increased spending on new F-35 fighter jets, ships and M1 Abrams tanks, raises military pay by 2.1 percent […]https://www.defencetalk.com/us-senate-passes-700-bn-defense-spending-bill-70490/
US military bases can now shoot down private drones
Posted on
DefenceTalkThe Pentagon has issued new guidance to the military allowing installations in the United States to shoot down commercial or private drones deemed to be a threat, officials said on Monday (Aug 7). Pentagon spokesman Navy Captain Jeff Davis said the various branches of the military received the new guidance on Friday, and this would […]https://www.defencetalk.com/us-military-bases-can-now-shoot-down-private-drones-70255/
Jordan, US launch major military exercises
Posted on
DefenceTalkJordan and the United States kicked off annual military exercises on Sunday known as Eager Lion with about 7,400 troops from more than 20 nations taking part. US and Jordanian officials said the manoeuvres would include border security, cyber-defence, and “command and control” exercises to bolster coordination in response to threats including “terrorism”. “Joint efforts […]https://www.defencetalk.com/jordan-us-launch-major-military-exercises-69926/
US Congress probes military pilot shortage
Posted on
DefenceTalkA shortage of pilots across the U.S. military is most acute in the Air Force, senior military officials told Congress March 29. Marine Corps Deputy Commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs Lt. Gen. Mark A. Brilakis, Chief of Naval Personnel Vice Adm. Robert P. Burke, Air Force Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower and Personnel […]https://www.defencetalk.com/us-congress-probes-military-pilot-shortage-69672/
Pentagon reviewing how it counts troop numbers
Posted on
DefenceTalkThe Pentagon is reviewing how it counts US troop numbers in Iraq and Syria, an official said Monday, as it moves from Obama-era troop limits that critics said were misleading. Currently, the Pentagon provides “force management levels” that set limits on how many US troops are supposedly in each country. Former president Barack Obama, who […]https://www.defencetalk.com/pentagon-reviewing-how-it-counts-troop-numbers-69640/
US military deploys attack drones to South Korea
Posted on
DefenceTalkThe US Army is permanently stationing an attack drone system and its support personnel in South Korea amid ongoing tensions with the North, a Defense Department spokesman said Monday. Officials said the deployment, due by next year, was not unique to South Korea and was being conducted across the Army to provide infantry divisions with […]https://www.defencetalk.com/us-military-deploys-attack-drones-to-south-korea-69478/
US military faces burgeoning nude picture-sharing scandal
Posted on
DefenceTalkThe Pentagon faced a burgeoning scandal Friday as more pictures of naked female service members apparently shared without their consent by male colleagues have turned up on secret social media sites. General Robert Neller, the commandant of the Marine Corps, appeared embarrassed and uncertain how to deal with the problem, which first surfaced among members […]https://www.defencetalk.com/us-military-faces-burgeoning-nude-picture-sharing-scandal-69457/