Pentagon chief warns of ‘tough year’ for Afghanistan
Posted on
DefenceTalkUS Defense Secretary Jim Mattis warned of “another tough year” in Afghanistan as he arrived on an unannounced visit Monday, hours after his Afghan counterpart resigned over a deadly Taliban attack that triggered anger and left the embattled army in disarray. Paying his first visit to Afghanistan as Pentagon chief, Mattis met with President Ashraf […]https://www.defencetalk.com/pentagon-chief-warns-of-tough-year-for-afghanistan-69812/
Russia flies multiple bomber missions near Alaska: Pentagon
Posted on
DefenceTalkRussian warplanes last week flew a series of missions near Alaska, prompting the North American air defence agency to scramble US and Canadian jets, officials said today. The North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD) and the Pentagon said Tu-95 Bear bombers were spotted in international air space on three occasions – twice near the Aleutian […]https://www.defencetalk.com/russia-flies-multiple-bomber-missions-near-alaska-pentagon-69804/
Pentagon has broad military arsenal available for Syria strike
Posted on
DefenceTalkThe United States has been fighting the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria since 2014, so has amassed a huge military presence and an array of capabilities in the region. If President Donald Trump decides to launch strikes against Syrian regime targets in response to Tuesday’s suspected chemical attack, the Pentagon has many ways […]https://www.defencetalk.com/pentagon-has-broad-military-arsenal-available-for-syria-strike-69675/
Pentagon reviewing how it counts troop numbers
Posted on
DefenceTalkThe Pentagon is reviewing how it counts US troop numbers in Iraq and Syria, an official said Monday, as it moves from Obama-era troop limits that critics said were misleading. Currently, the Pentagon provides “force management levels” that set limits on how many US troops are supposedly in each country. Former president Barack Obama, who […]https://www.defencetalk.com/pentagon-reviewing-how-it-counts-troop-numbers-69640/
Iran Poses Threat to Centcom’s Area of Responsibility, Votel Says
Posted on
DefenceTalkIran poses the most significant threat to U.S. Central Command’s complex area of responsibility, Centcom commander Army Gen. Joseph L. Votel told the Senate Armed Services Committee today. Centcom has dealt with a number of significant challenges over the past 12 months, including in Iraq and Syria, Pakistan, Yemen, Egypt and the Sinai, the Bab-el-Mandeb […]https://www.defencetalk.com/iran-poses-threat-to-centcoms-area-of-responsibility-votel-says-69447/
US Navy secretary nominee withdraws: Pentagon
Posted on
DefenceTalkPhilip Bilden has withdrawn his nomination as secretary of the US Navy, the Pentagon said Sunday, marking the latest in a series of nominees to remove their names from consideration to serve under President Donald Trump. “This was a personal decision driven by privacy concerns and significant challenges he faced in separating himself from his […]https://www.defencetalk.com/us-navy-secretary-nominee-withdraws-pentagon-69297/
New Pentagon chief seeks to underscore alliances with Japan, South Korea
Posted on
DefenceTalkNew Pentagon chief James Mattis is heading to South Korea and Japan this week, where he will seek to reassure the key US allies about American security commitments in the region. The defense secretary’s visit marks the first overseas trip of any senior official in the government of President Donald Trump, and comes after the […]https://www.defencetalk.com/new-pentagon-chief-seeks-to-underscore-alliances-with-japan-south-korea-68954/
Pentagon chief orders review of F-35 fighter program
Posted on
DefenceTalkUS Secretary of Defense James Mattis has ordered a review of the Lockheed Martin F-35 stealth fighter program after President Donald Trump assailed its $400 billion price tag, the Pentagon announced Friday. At the same time, Mattis ordered a similar review of the $4 billion cost for developing a new aircraft for the US president, […]https://www.defencetalk.com/pentagon-chief-orders-review-of-f-35-fighter-program-68940/
Pentagon chief Mattis vows unshakeable commitment to NATO
Posted on
DefenceTalkNew US Secretary of Defense James Mattis reassured his British counterpart on Monday (Jan 23) that Washington has an “unshakeable commitment” to Nato, despite President Donald Trump previously casting the military alliance as obsolete. During a phone call with Mr Michael Fallon on his first full day in office, Gen Mattis “emphasised the United States’ […]https://www.defencetalk.com/pentagon-chief-mattis-vows-unshakeable-commitment-to-nato-68888/
US DoD Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration
Posted on
DefenceTalkIn one of the most significant tests of autonomous systems under development by the Department of Defense, the Strategic Capabilities Office, partnering with Naval Air Systems Command, successfully demonstrated one of the world’s largest micro-drone swarms at China Lake, California. The test, conducted in October 2016 and documented on Sunday’s CBS News program “60 Minutes”, […]https://www.defencetalk.com/us-dod-announces-successful-micro-drone-demonstration-68775/